- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave,
- Research Laboratory
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- Onsite:Up to 1 day remote/wk
The Animal Technologist reports directly to the Animal Resources Facility (ARF) Technical Services Manager or Technologist Supervisor. The Animal Technologist provides animal clinical care and treatment to research animals as prescribed by the ARF Technical Services (TS) Manager/Supervisor and as directed by the Attending Veterinarian. Under the direction of the TS Manager may assist in packing and shipping sentinel animals to Charles River Laboratories for diagnostic testing. Identify animals by ear punch, ear tag number or toe clip. Maybe asked to assist in some technical support duties.
- Routine handling, restraint, identification (including ear notching, tagging, tattooing, and toe clipping) of common laboratory animals.
- Assists in the monitoring animal colonies for injured, sick, moribund, or dead animals and recording/reporting any findings.
- Assists in maintaining animal health records for on-going treatments in the HMR/IACUC database.
- Assists in separating overcrowded cages as necessary, transcribing correct animal information onto cage cards/ECCs after separations, and entering information accurately into Technical Services database.
- Assists the Technologists in collection of sentinel animals. This includes accurate sentinel animal identification (room/rack #) for scheduled shipment to Charles River Laboratories for pathogen testing.
- Maintains and reports accurate records, including but not limited to; technical service records, electronic cage cards, animal census, breeding records, transgenic data, anesthesia machine logs, animal receiving and disposition logs, etc.
- Assists TS Manager or Principal Technologist with Intramural and LC Quarantine Animal Transfers.
High School Diploma or GED required. BA/BS preferred.
1 year working in an AAALAC-accredited laboratory animal facility preferred.
AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) or Laboratory Animal Technologist (LAT) level is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Willingness to learn IP, IV, SQ injections, oral gavage, and blood collection.,
- Ability to Assist Technical Services Manager as directed with Intramural Transfers and Animal Exports/Imports.
- Computer literacy in word processing and database record keeping in support of laboratory animal operations preferred.
- Organized and meticulous in record keeping.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with members of a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required.
- Working knowledge of basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, and other related software.