- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave,
- Administration Support/Customer Service
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk
The Jimmy Fund Clinic is the outpatient oncology clinic for the Dana Farber/Boston Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Disorders Program. The Jimmy Fund Clinic follows a family-centered care philosophy of assuring that a patient’s psychological, family support, resource, and spiritual needs are met in addition to their medical needs. The clinic is the outpatient care location for all of the Dana Farber Pediatric Oncology care programs including the Solid Tumor Center, the Stem Cell Transplant Center, the Brain Tumor Center, the Hematologic Malignancy Center, the Perini Survivorship Clinic, and the Division of Pediatric Psychosocial services. Inside the clinic, patients receive physician, nursing, community, and psychological care. The clinical services include lab work, infusions of chemotherapy, cellular products, and non-chemo agents as well as blood transfusions. We also perform outpatient procedures under anesthesia in our own procedure suite. While patients are in the clinic, child life specialists engage patients with a variety of activities including crafts and music therapy. The Clinical Scheduling Specialist staf are responsible for answering phone calls coming into the clinic and triaging them accordingly. The CSS team is also responsible for all ancillary scheduling at Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH)
- Under the direction of the clinical practice support management team, provides appointment scheduling ranging in complexity from one physician appointment to multiple care provider appointments in accordance with scheduling guidelines for established patients
- Obtains detailed clinical information by telephone or electronically.
- May provide basic information regarding the need for insurance referral(s).
- Provides general disease or program-specific information to callers/patients within the scope of knowledge and authority.
- Performs independent patient and outside provider call triaging
- Serves as a liaison between patient/family/provider.
- Resolves issues directly or ensures appropriate management of call by others.
- Recognizes emergencies and appropriately responds using standard operating procedures and critical thinking skills.
- May be required to perform other duties as required by the clinical practice support team.
- May provide general support and coordination for all aspects of patient care for established patients, including filing, data entry, telephone support, etc.
- Carries out specific processes in the patient scheduling systems so that correct special billing and revenue processes function properly.
- Participates in clinical systems training for new hires and may teach or participate in the planning of patient services refresher courses as needed.
- Prepares open and close provider schedules and handles daily schedule changes.
- Performs past-pending reconciliations.
- Enters data into patient care related databases.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in health administration or related field is strongly preferred, and/or a minimum of 1 year of related health care and/or customer service experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to function as an integral member of a team
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve on the spot
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Demonstrated ability to carry out complex scheduling as required
- Demonstrated ability to draft reports, correspondence and other administrative documents pertaining to patient scheduling as needed
- PC proficiency
- Ability to work productively in a remote environment
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.