- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave,
- Employment Type:
- Per diem
- Work Location:
- Onsite:Up to 1 day remote/wk
Pharmacists are responsible for the preparation, compounding and dispensing of medications according to the laws and regulations governing pharmacists and the practice of pharmacy. The Pharmacists are responsible for the optimization of drug therapy by identifying, resolving, and preventing drug-related problems and adverse drug events.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Appropriately dispenses pharmaceuticals, including sterile products, chemotherapy, biologics, narcotic medications and investigational medications
- Verifies that patient profiles contain appropriate clinical data for allergies, height, weight, BSA, clinical problems, and therapeutic monitoring as applicable; reviews all current lab results prior to dispensing
- Reviews and evaluates all physicians’ medication orders for completeness and appropriateness prior to dispensing; consults with physicians and nurses to clarify orders as needed
- Provides clinical consultation and suggestions to physicians and nurses regarding appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic selections; makes recommendations for selecting formulary medications and sustains the formulary by minimizing non-formulary procurements
- Reviews and compares investigational protocols to medication orders for completeness and appropriateness prior to dispensing
- Monitors drug therapy for contraindications, including but not limited to: drug-drug interaction; drug-nutrient interaction; drug-herb interaction; allergies; and the appropriateness of drug and dose
- Documents and reports clinical interventions in the safety system; detects and reports adverse drug reactions accurately, in a timely manner and per policy
- Maintains adequate levels of stock medications and materials for assigned work area; participates in inventory management
- Orients and supervises pharmacy technicians and coop-students
- Performs quality control on medication orders and on prepared medications; performs additional quality control activities including but not limited to refrigerator temperature, clinic stock box and manufacturing logs, code cart, hood cleaning and narcotic accountability records
- Other duties and projects as assigned
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited college of Pharmacy and must be licensed to practice pharmacy in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- 1 to 3 years of hospital pharmacy or retail pharmacy experience is required.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.