This is a Lab Control Tech II position at DFCI - Chestnut Hill. Full-time days. No weekend, no holidays. Located at the DFCI-Chestnut Hill.
The Lab Control Technician II processes, distributes, and provides quality assurance for all patient specimens. Supplies accurate information to providers and other clinical staff regarding laboratory testing, test requirements and patient results. The Lab Control Technician II participates in training new team members.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Primary Duties and Resposibilities:
1. Performs pre-analytical specimen processing: Receives patient specimens from within the institute and outside institutions.
2. Becomes familiar with patient and specimen requirements; stores and transports specimens according to procedures; ensure specimen integrity is preserved at all times.
3. Unloads and loads the pneumatic tube system and accurately distributes specimens; does routine and stat specimen delivery runs to BWH laboratories; does specimen pickup runs from clinic locations at DFCI
4. Receives specimens into the Laboratory Information System (LIS) by scanning barcodes or manual entry
5. Verifies upon receipt that all samples are labeled according to policy and addresses variances according to policies.
6. Documents in the LIS any specimen or test cancellations per policy; contacts the appropriate provider or reference laboratories with questions regarding discrepancies with test orders or specimen containers.
7. Processes add on tests according to policy
8. Processes tests sent out to reference laboratories; communicates with reference labs as needed
9. Processes specimens by loading the pre-analytic automation system or via centrifugation, aliquoting, storing, and shipping per test requirements.
10. Performs various quality checks to ensure all requests are accurate before dispensing the specimens to the appropriate performing lab.
11. Responds to telephone inquiries to assist providers, nurses and other caregivers with lab test, test requirement and result inquiries.
12. Performs all duties with accuracy and efficiency to ensure patient care is not compromised.
13. Utilizes electronic system for faxed tests results from reference laboratories.
14. Accurately enters reference lab results as needed including transplant test results from Rhode Island Blood Center.
15. Reviews pending lists as required; addresses and corrects discrepancies or pending test results by contacting the reference lab and the provider as necessary.
16. Participates in training new team members.
17. Processes bone marrows orders and specimens.
18. Starts the 8100 pre-analytic front end automation system.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.