Clinical Intake and Scheduling
· Guide patient through the appointment process, including expectations of the first appointment.
· Coordinate/obtain clinical documentation prior to the first visit, including medical records, pathology slides, and/or radiology films.
· Work closely with all providers to triage patients of all disease types appropriately.
· Consult with physicians, as appropriate, to determine urgency of first appointment.
· Maintain knowledge of current financial arrangements, insurance coverage, and billing procedures at DFCI and the local host hospital.
· Perform mini registration in Epic, capturing demographic and insurance information, to create a medical record number (MRN) and schedule initial appointment in Epic.
· Send electronic “new patient packets” to patients.
· Run daily list of new patients in Epic.
· Prepare, review, and obtain consents for new patients.
- Complete new patient check-in: review registration information, consent forms and financial assistance, obtain consent signatures, scan insurance cards, collect proxy and/or power of attorney forms for scanning, and enroll patients on Partners Patient Gateway.
· Manage multiple provider schedules and have an adequate understanding of which diseases each provider can see.
· Manage multiple EMRs (e.g. Epic, Meditech) and maintain knowledge of how to navigate all platforms to ensure appropriate insurance, demographic information, and records are available.
· Have sufficient understanding of how to manage records for all diseases – including which disease specific reports/scans/documentation are required for providers to see a patient at their first visit.
- Report all newly booked, rescheduled, and cancelled new patient appointments to the network program nurse for new patient intake.
Financial Intake and Counseling
· Collect accurate demographic and insurance information for all new patients – update Epic registration or send registration shell to Longwood Pre-Registration, as necessary.
· Identify self-pay or high-risk financial patients and schedule financial counseling appointments (e.g. self-pay, non-participating insurance coverage, potential high coinsurance).
· Notify Longwood central Access Management of identified established patients switching to high risk insurance or losing coverage.
· Work directly with identified self-pay and high financial risk new patients or directed established patients to obtain any additional demographic and financial information needed.
· Utilize real-time automated tools for insurance verification, eligibility, and benefits information - may require contacting insurance carrier.
· Compile and submit all necessary documents and data to support request for coverage of charges for services to be performed at DFCI.
· Update insurance and demographic information for new patients and directed established patients, in Epic, as necessary.
· Accurately and courteously explain policies regarding financial assistance programs and assist patients/families in the completion of applications
· Coordinate on-site support with Longwood central Access Management, on a daily basis, including, but not limited to, providing financial counseling support, managing patient pre-authorizations, and obtaining signatures for ABNs and other high risk waivers.
· Scan insurance cards into Epic for all new patients and directed established patients.
The NPC/FC may provide coverage/assistance as needed to the Practice Coordinators as requested by management staff..
· Assists in the training and mentoring of staff, acting as primary trainer for new hires within the disease center or pod.
· Assists staff with complex administrative responsibilities and intra/inter-institutional coordination and communication.
· Assists in developing and maintaining training materials and other resources.
· Provides guidance and training for pod staff as needed.